Monday, February 13, 2006

Tyler making silly faces!














Tyler playing Mall Tycoon II on my computer while I'm on the laptop next to him.



I took Tyler to see Curious George yesterday. It was my 2nd time in 2 days to see the movie. It wasn't quite as interesting as the first time. When the movie started, Tyler kept looking back at the projector. I could see his wheels turning. In a little bit he said...Becky, let's go sit up there by that light and then we can hop in it and we'll be in the movie. I explained that you don't get in a movie by jumping in the light. I tried to explain to him a little bit about how they make movies in the about 30 seconds I had. He seemed to understand. He sure is a thinker though.

He wanted to sit in several different seats and I didn't. I wanted to stay where I was. So, I let him change seats as long as stayed in front of me where I could see him. He finally ended up in the row in front of me...several seats down. He kept talking to me in a very loud whisper. At one point I think I drifted off asleep and he said..(more loudly than I was comfortable with)....Becky, WAKE UP!!

Kids are amazing in their ability to use the computer. I had bought a game called Mall Tycoon II and had a terrible time trying to figure it out. I finally gave up on it. Tyler saw the game today and said he wanted to play it. I told him I didn't know how but if he could figure it out...go ahead. This little guy is 5 years old and is playing the game like an old pro. His favorite thing to do is build walls around people so they can't go anywhere. I'm just glad I don't visit any of Tyler's malls!!

I have been a little disappointed with my health again the last week. I have been having so much trouble with my stomach. It seemed like I had the flu at first but now I'm really doubting that. My stomach has just been a mess and I usually have a stomach of steel. My list of complaints are my stomach, I'm still sweating like mad, and another piece of one of the teeth that needs pulled chipped off. It seems neverending at times!

I fixed a really good supper for tonight that we ended up eating for lunch because it was so good. I'll post the 2 recipes with the original recipe like it's written and my changes in parenthesis.....

CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
4 split chicken breasts (I used boneless)
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound asparagus, ends removed, and cut in thirds diagonally
1 red bell pepper , cored and seeded
2 scallions (white and green parts), sliced diagonally
1 T white sesame seeds, toasted

For the dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup good apple cider vinegar
3 T soy sauce
1 1/2 T dark sesame oil
1/2 T honey (1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 T sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 t kosher salt

1/2 t freshly ground black pepper

Get a grill pan good and hot. Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Grill about 5-7 minutes on each side or till done in the middle and golden brown on the outside. Once you put the chicken on the grill...do not move it until you turn it. I learned this on the cooking shows becuase if you try to move it right away it will tear the meat and it won't be as good. Set aside to cool. When it is cooled, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.

Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 -5 minutes until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain. Cut the peppers in strips about the size of the asparagus pieces. Combine the cut chicken, asparagus, and peppers in a large bowl.

Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Add the scallions and the sesame seeds and season to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.


BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
4 cups chopped yellow onions ..3 large (I used only about 1/3 of a cup..I don't like onions much)
2 T mild curry powder (I didn't use....didn't have any)
5 pounds of butternut squash ...2 large
1 1/2 pounds sweet apples, such as McIntosh ...4 apples
2 t kosher salt
1/2 t freshly ground pepper
2 cups water
2 cups apple juice

Here is what I added to this recipe:
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon

Warm the butter, olive oil, onions, and curry powder in a large stockpot uncovered over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot.

Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds, Cut the squash into chunks. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks and coat with a little fresh lemon juice.

Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat afor 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Process the soup through a food mill (I've always thought of it as an applesauce maker) You could also put it in a food processor or a blender but doing it in a food mill makes it a little chunkier and less like baby food.

Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the apple juice (or apple cider) and enough water (if needed) to make the soup the consistency you like. It should be slightly sweet and quite thick. Check the salt and pepper and serve hot. I had to let it cook down a little bit because mine was a little on the runny side but in about half an hour it was ready. I don't think I used enough of the squash.

Wayne ate some of this soup all ready. I haven't. I asked him his honest opinion about it and he said it could be a little sweeter so I'll probably add a little more sugar, equal or honey.

No comments: