Sunday, April 02, 2006

It's not been a very good weekend for me physically. I haven't done much of anything. I have had extra back pain compared to normal and been kind of sick to my stomach from the blood pressure medicine. I just hope and pray that I can get in to my doctor tomorrow. Since he's been on vacation for a week it will be harder to get in to see him. I may also try to move up the date of my next pump refill. What the doctor needs to know before giving me another increase is that the pain is interfering with my daily activities. I can't hardly take a shower without the pain making me cut it short. I also am having more trouble getting through the grocery store....all normal aspects of living. I'm not trying to ask to run a marathon:)

American Idol news? There's a real big deal right now that made it to the national papers about Mandisa. She said..."This song goes out to everybody who wants to be free. Your addiction, lifestyle and situation may be big, but God is bigger." So, many people are reading into the fact that she mentioned lifestyle and that she was referring to gays. I guess if this is true she will lose a lot of voters. I just don't see how they can read that much into her statement myself....but this is a big deal over on the American Idol forums. I don't go there much anymore because there is always some type of controversy going on!!

Not much else has happened. I did fix some really good chicken and rice Friday night. I like things that are a little sweet and the lemon curd in the sauce that goes over the chicken is sweet. It is good heated up too. I will finish by posting those recipes today!

LEMONY CHICKEN
1 quart buttermiklk
1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, tenders removed and cut in strips
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
vegetable oil, for frying ( I used canola...supposed to be better for you)

FOR SAUCE
1 (11 ounce) jar lemon curd
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

Add enough oil to cover the bottom of a large frying pan by 1/4 to 1/2 inch depth. Heat oil to 365 degrees F.

Meanwhile, whisk butter milk and zest together in a medium bowl. Add chicken and set aside. Sift together flour and cornstarch into a shallow dish. (This is the first time I've ever sifted anything:) Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture and dredge in flour mixture. Fry chicken strips until golden brown. Carefully flip chicken and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

While chicken is frying, make the sauce. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt lemon curd, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients and heat through. Drizzle sauce over chicken and serve

APPLE RICE PILAF WITH TOASTED ALMONDS

1 tablespoon butter
1/4 onion, finely chopped
1/4 golden delicious apple, finely chopped
2 cups apple juice
2 cups enriched long-grain instant rice
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

In a medium saucepan, melt butter and saute onion and apples over medium heat until soft. Add apple juice, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove cover and stir in toasted almonds. Serve.

No comments: