Wednesday, March 08, 2006


The thing I like most about American Idol is that it is a television show that bridges all age groups. The picture is Beca at her 7th birthday party with a shirt of her favorite idol from last year...Carrie Underwood. She was so excited when Carrie won last year that she had trouble sleeping that night. Wayne and I took Rhebeca to the American Idols concert tour in Chicago last August. I don't know who enjoyed it more...Rhebeca or me. (it definitely wasn't Wayne...he was a good sport to drive us there and sit through the show). There were so many age groups at that concert that you couldn't really say it appealed to just one group of people. There were lots of kids there and lots of people my age.

I had my stress test yesterday. The test itself wasn't bad at all...just a little uncomfortable to have my heart beating so fast. They had trouble...as usual getting the IV in my hand. I have two big black and blue marks from them digging around in my hand trying to find the vein. I also had a hard time laying on their bed for over an hour. The neuropathy in my feet really acted up and my left hand and arm went to sleep from the new herniation in my neck and towards the end I had pain down my left leg from the back problems.

Dr. Randazzo is my cardiologist. I have always really liked her because she seems really sharp and really "knows her stuff". She studied the echocardiogram as the technician was doing it and finally said...your problem is that the bottom number on your blood pressure is too high and it has caused a certain area of your heart (can't remember which one) to harden and it is probably what is causing the swelling in your feet and legs. S0, I double up on the blood pressure medicine and take it twice a day and start taking my blood pressure twice a day. Then go in and talk to Dr. Stillson after a couple of weeks and show him the chart I keep of my blood pressure. The really bad thing is that this is all my fault. I was trying to save money on our prescriptions and had started taking half a dose of the blood pressure medicine about a year ago. So, I really caused this myself.

The good...and bad...thing is that my feet and legs were swollen yesterday so she could see the problem. They were still swollen today so I had to take a water pill. I hope I won't feel as bad tomorrow as I did last time I took the water pill.

I went with Katie and the boys to help her run errands this afternoon. I sit in the car with the boys while she goes in the stores she needs to go in. It works out well for both of us because she can run her errands easier and I can be with Tyler and Caden. I had to get a couple of things at the grocery store and Tyler came in with me. He talked me into a toy, a muffin and some baby bananas. The toy he picked out were handcuffs...and his Mom kept a key to them in her purse because we both could just see him putting the handcuffs on Caden and not being able to find the key. Caden started whining right after we got back in the car. We kept trying to give him different things thinking that's what he wanted. I felt so sorry for him because he has no words to tell us what he wants...he just keeps whining. We'd give him something and he'd say...NO! Finally we found what he wanted...he wanted one of the baby bananas. I only got 3 of the bananas and as well as the boys like them I think I'll have to get them more next trip to the store.

Tyler spent the afternoon here yesterday. I joined the Nick Arcade "Nick pass" several months ago. For $7.45 a month I can get a new game of my choice to be downloaded every month and then when the new month starts I not only get the new game but also get to keep the old game. We've collected quite a few games so far. Yesterday was the day we could pick a new game. Tyler went on their web site and picked out a game. Then I started filling out the forms I needed to get the new game. I had some problems getting it figured out yesterday and finally Tyler decided to pray about it....Here's his prayer and I think it's just precious....."God is great, God is good, please help Grandma Becky figure out how to get my game started. Amen" He starts all his prayers with God is great, God is good.

I also got a call from Kristi yesterday morning. She has free long distance and calls me almost every day. I try to encourage her in her mothering and she keeps me up on what Jacob is doing. It's almost as good as having them live close by. When she takes her shower she shuts Jacob in the bathroom with her so she can keep an eye on him. You don't want a child that age fending for themselves for even 5 minutes. Yesterday she peeked out to make sure he was doing all right and saw the he'd put his shoes in the sink and filled them with water and was having just a great old time. She said she decided to just enjoy the rest of her shower because the damage was done by that time. By this morning his shoes were almost dried out:)

I made chili when I got home from running errands with Katie. I use beef and pork stew meat in my chili instead of ground beef. If cooks long enough the meat gets fork tender. Well, tonight it just wasn't getting tender at all. So, at 8:00 I finally decided to save the chili for tomorrow and made the most delicious Bean Quesadilla. I will end today with the recipe to the quesadilla. It's something I'm going to keep the ingredients to all the time for a quick and delicious meal.

BLACK BEAN QUESADILLA

2 burrito size tortillas
1 (14 1/2 oz) can of refried low-fat black beans
1 cup chunky salsa (your choice of mild or hot)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese...your choice...I used cheddar
Guacamole...recipe below

2 tablespoons sour cream (I forgot about this...didn't use it but it would be good)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lay 1 tortilla on a clean work surface. Spread a thin layer of beans evenly over the tortilla. Spoon 3/4 cup of salsa over the beans, then sprinkle with the cheese. Top with the 2nd tortilla. Place the quesadilla on a foil-covered cookie sheet. I used a pizza stone...made it crispy on the bottom.

Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or till the cheese is melted and the top is crisp and brown. Meanwhile make the guacamole (or use store bought) and swirl the guacamole together with the sour cream. Cut the quesadilla into 4 equal portions and transfer to a plate. Serve with the guacamole mixture and remaining 1/4 cup salsa.

EASY GUACAMOLE

2 Avacados
1 clove garlic
1 small tomato
1 1/2 Tablespoon lime juice (or lemon juice...I used lemon juice because I was out of limes)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Mash the avacados and then add the rest of the ingredients. The recipe does call for 1/2 cup chopped onion but I like mine without...if you're an onion lover...add the onion!

No comments: