Friday, April 07, 2006


Thanks to any one of you that prayed like I asked last night. When I woke up this morning I didn't think there was any way I could do easter eggs but by afternoon I felt quite a bit better and Rhebeca and I had a good time together. I would love it if we could make this a yearly thing that we do together. I've missed coloring eggs since our kids have been grown. I'm hoping Tyler will want to come and do some eggs maybe Monday after his school.

Rhebeca's favorite (or one of her favorite) eggs is the one she is holding with the butterfly wings. It came in handy to have some of the scrapbooking glues because the kits I bought had some really cute decorations to glue on the eggs. I have to give Rhebeca a compliment here....she is such a sweet girl and so enthusiastic about what she loves. She is a real pleasure to be with and I feel like the luckiest Grandma around to have a granddaughter like her!!!

I wanted to have the eggs all ready boiled when Rhebeca came here. It is so time consuming and not a very fun part of the process. I looked on the internet for the best way to make hard boiled eggs. In the past my eggs always cracked so bad and I knew there had to be a better way to boil an egg. Here is the recipe I decided on...First put the eggs into a pan with cold water...a single layer of eggs. Then bring it to a boil. Do not add salt until the water is boiling or it will cause pits in your pan. Then take the eggs off the heat and put on the lid to the pan and let the eggs sit for half an hour. They were perfect. Out of 30 eggs I only had 1 of them crack. After they sat in the boiling water for 30 minutes I cooled them off by putting the eggs in cold water.

We had some shrimp that we needed to use up today because I bought them fresh at the store on Wednesday. We had them for lunch with a homemade salsa and rice. It was so delicious...we both loved it! I think it was pretty lowfat also. Here are the recipes.....

MARINADE
1/2 cup pineapple juice
3 T olive oil
3 T cup red wine vinegar
3-4 T brown sugar-- depending on how sweet you want it
Put the deveined and shelled shrimp in the marinade and refrigerate for 1/2 hour or more.

MANGO SALSA
2 (4 ounce) tropical fruit cups, drained (about 1 cup)
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 scallion, finely chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
1 small jalapeno, ribs removed, seeded and minced
Kosher salt

SHRIMP
24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (8 ounce) bag shredded coconut
Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or heat outdoor grill.

For the mango salsa: Chop drained fruit into small pieces. Combine the fruit and remaining salsa ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate till chilled.
(I wanted mine chopped a little finer than hand chopped so put everything in a mini food processor...just chop long enough to get the ingredients in little chunks...you don't want mush)

For the shrimp: Place coconut on baking sheet Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until coconut turns light brown. Set aside.

Spear 3 shrimp on each bamboo skewer.

Heat a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Place shrimp skewers on grill pan. Cook shrimp for 2 minutes per side or until shrimp turns pink. Place shredded coconut on serving plate. Remove shrimp from skewers and place on top of coconut.

Place salsa in a decorative bowl and serve with shrimp skewers immediately.

My changes: I used a bed of rice instead of the coconut. And, we did the shrimp on a grill instead of in a pan. Either way would be good but we loved the shrimp done on the outdoor grill!

No comments: